Deer Park is a quiet, clean neighborhood and the DPRG has an active Noise and Pollution Committee, that is active in protecting our community from environmental and health hazards. We monitor the progress of projects and update our membership on issues that matter to them. Scroll down to find the latest news.
JOIN THE “GAS BUSTERS”!
There are some aspects of life that have virtually ground to a halt during the pandemic. Unfortunately, one that hasn’t is the use of noisy gas leaf blowers.
Given the documented evidence that gas-powered leaf blowers are a serious health and environmental hazard; they have been banned in many jurisdictions around the world.
We are pleased to report that Toronto City Council will be considering such a ban! It will be critical for residents to show their support.
What you can do now
- Send an e-mail to our local councillor, Josh Matlow, email@example.com or call 416-392-7906 to indicate your support of a ban on gas-powered blowers.
- Please cc us using our e-mail addresses noted below.
- Discontinue use of gas blowers on your property. If you employ a landscaping or gardening service, please direct them to convert to environmentally friendly alternatives. See below for tips.
- Join the “Gas Busters” and we will let you know when City Council will be deciding on the question of banning gas-powered leaf blowers and how to make your comments heard. You can encourage your neighbours to become “Gas Busters” by printing the informative PDF and distributing it on your street.
- Learn more about it and encourage your neighbours to join too.
For further information
- For Further information, please contact the DPRG Noise and Pollution Action Committee:
Ideas for discussion with Your Gardening Service
- Gardening service companies can be opportunistic by responding to evolving consumer sensitivities to health and environmental issues and by transitioning proactively into sustainable, safe, electric land care equipment.
- Companies will save money in the long run from reduced maintenance and fuel costs.Landscape crews have front line exposure to the fumes and noise of gas-powered equipment.
- Cleaner, quieter electric lawn and garden equipment is better for their health and well-being.
- Property owners could assist contractors in their transition to clean power by offering to charge their equipment batteries as needed while they are working at their properties.
Let’s Make This The “Year of The Rake”!
Excerpt from Councillor Josh Matlow’s Newsletter, June 17, 2021
|Deer Park Residents Group “Gas Busters” Initiative|
John Watt and Dundee Staunton, are two Deer Park neighbours who are concerned about the environmental impact and health hazards from gasoline leaf blowers. They took action and created a flyer that informed their neighbours of the harmful effects. The flyer asked neighbours to stop using gas leaf blowers and join “Gas Busters,” a fun name based on the Ghostbusters theme. The result of the flyer distributed on Duggan Avenue, met with success. Eight neighbours on their street convinced their gardening service to convert to an environmentally friendly alternative and to stop using the noisy and polluting gas-powered leaf blowers. They explained that discontinuing the use of one gasoline powered leaf blower is equivalent to taking 93 times the hydrocarbons of one sedan and many times as much carbon monoxide and nitrous oxides off their street. If you are concerned about the health implications of gas powered leaf blowers and want to implement a “Gas Busters” on your street, become an “Amgassador” by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or Chris Keating, Chris@hvq.com , (DPRG, Noise and Pollution Action Committee).